Wednesday 16 March 2011

Idols abound but God prevails

Everyday here is amazing.  I can't get over it.

In the van on the way to the first village!

We started our day with devotions as a team in the morning and then went to Dr. P's for lunch.  Then off to the villages! We had to drive a good bit today and as we were driving through different towns and villages I noticed just how many temples there are around.  It seemed like every couple of blocks there was another temple dedicated to a hindu god.  Some of the team members were asking Dr. P and Vasanta about different animals in India, they were wanting rides on elephants haha.  While we were on the subject of elephants, Vasanta was telling me how sometimes they will take an elephant into the temple and worship it.  They will even take the elephant dung and pray and make sacrifices to it.  They also take their pee and sprinkle it around their houses because they believe it will keep away evil spirits.  It is so sad that they are so desperate for something to fill the void they feel in their lives and desperate enough to worship elephant dung!

One of the temples I saw while traveling.

We got an earlier start today so when we got to the first village it was still light and we were able to spend more time with these people.  We go to the villages later in the day so that we will be there when the kids are out of school and the older people of the community are home from work.  We went into the heart of this village to share the gospel and had so many children and others come to hear.  When Dr. P gave the invitation to ask for forgiveness and accept Christ as their Lord, there was such a great response! I'm amazed how God is changing lives. He is so good!

The people are praying to accept Christ! 
Right after getting saved this woman asked for prayer for her son.  They prayed for him then went and shared the gospel with him and he was saved as well! Praise God :)
Did you know roosters can fly? This one was up in a tree and when it came down it almost landed on Dr. P's head while he was praying! Craziness!

Afterward we played with the kids and I don't know how this happened, but I became a human jungle gym.  So many kids started climbing on me and wanted me to pick them up.  I was overwhelmed but totally loving it! I wish that we could have spent even more time with them to love on them. 


It was dark when we got to the next village.  About 100 yards from where we were sharing the gospel with the people of this village there was a hindu temple that had such a dark feeling about it.  I felt like there was such oppression and darkness among these people.  I was overcome with how much they need God's truth and I was so thankful that God was able to use me to share it with them.  Many people did accept Christ. Glory to God! And I know that God is going to do a good work among them.  Another pastor (Pastor Daniel) who graduated from Dr. P's Bible College is going to be discipling the people and planting churches in both of the villages we were in tonight. I pray that they would grow in an intimate relationship with God and share Him with the others who did not accept Him yet.  

The temple in the second village.

Vasanta, Chelsea, Laura and I :) 

And finally....the toilet that I used before dinner. Haha what good times :) Believe me, this is like 10 steps up from the "toilet" that Chris, Chelsea and I used yesterday in a village. 

Thanks so much for your continued prayers!! We greatly appreciate it! Pray that God will continue to reveal Himself to the people here and that we would be used in a mighty way!

  

1 comment:

  1. Tracy!!!

    I had to create an account to be able to comment.. haha! I miss you!!! You have no idea of the big smile in my face while reading and seeing everything that you guys are doing for the Lord in India!

    Makes me want to be so bad with you right now!
    I WISH I WOULD HAVE BEEN PART OF THAT AWESOME TOILET EXPERIENCE :0) lol

    What a convicting feeling it is to see that while you guys are fulfilling the great commission and making God's truth known to other ppl, im here in front of my computer in such a confortable place! how sad :(

    But this encourages me even more to continue to live for the Lord even in the middle of my confort zone, for one day we all shall share the same path in reaching the ends of the world for Him!
    Im so happy to soo that you guys are loving it! So glad to hear you guys are learning so much and having such a great time as it should be. Loving the things of the Lord!

    Its already friday here and in a couple of days you will be back! LOCO....!
    I pray that God will continue to use you to make His difference in ppls lives!

    FOR THE ONE WHO BEGAN THE WORK, WILL FINISH IT!!

    Please say hi to everyone! Love you all
    In Christ,

    Martin!

    ReplyDelete