Sunday 2 October 2011

"MAF...This is Tracy"

"MAF...This is Tracy".  That's how I've been spending my past two weeks! As the MAF chief scheduler :)  It's actually been a lot of fun and I've really enjoyed being able to help out.  The pilot who normally does scheduling is on furlough and won't be back until June.  Christine, one of the missionary pilot's wife, has been filling him for him as scheduler while he's gone.  And I filled in for her these past two weeks because she has been busy with packing, moving, and unpacking!


This is me with my guest badge! It lets me get through security in the regional terminal.  



These are some chicks that MAF was able to transport.  They were so cute.  There's a ministry in Haiti where they provide chicks so that families can raise them and eventually sell the eggs to make an income.  The drive up to Cap Haitian from Port au Prince is long and bumpy.  They use to transport the chicks by car, but a lot of them were dying in the process.  Now they use MAF to transport them and none have died :) 


Another big task I had this past week was to do the inventory count!  


It took me two days to get through the inventory and I'm so glad its over!  It was a pretty long process of going through all the aircraft parts and checking them off the list! Wednesday and Thursday were really busy days.  I was doing the inventory counts and scheduling.  



On Thursday, there was some drama.  A family had reserved a five passenger plane to La Gonave.  The problem was they showed up with six people and enough stuff to charter the Caravan.  So we had to make some more arrangements for them.  Luckily, the other plane that had been booked became available so we were able to charter them a second piston plane.  Everything fit!!....except for their flat screen TV they had brought. haha We had to send it out on a flight the next day.  


This is Garry and I.  I have worked with him a lot over the past two weeks in the front office.  He does a lot of phone scheduling in Creole and helps check passengers in. 


This is Sabine and I.  She helps with payment and receipts and helps with customer service.  

This past two weeks have flown by! I have loved being able to help MAF's ministry by scheduling and inventory.  Its also given me the opportunity to get to know the national staff better and learn more about Haiti from their perspective.  Christine is coming back tomorrow to take over scheduling so I don't know what I will be doing this week.  It's my last week here, can you believe it?! 

No comments:

Post a Comment